Worthy Sir Knights –
I am pleased to inform you that a virtual Patriotic Exemplification of the Knights of Columbus is scheduled for January 31st, a Sunday night at 7:00 PM (Zoom meeting opens 30 minutes prior). As this is the feast day of St John Bosco the exemplification will be in his honor.
I encourage you as assembly leaders to ask brother Knights to take this final step on their journey to full Knighthood. Now as never before our country needs informed patriotic citizens. Our fourth-degree ceremonial is an excellent educational tool in that regard but it requires brother Knights to be invited to become a Sir Knight.
Some of you have indicated a preference to wait for in-person opportunities. I’m sure we will return to those at some point; however, for now, on-line meetings are our only opportunity to grow. These virtual exemplifications have proven successful as well as convenient to effectively teach brother Knights the principles of Catholic Citizenship and our order’s commitment to faith-filled patriotism.
I encourage assembly leadership & existing Sir Knights to participate in the virtual exemplification as an observer and reinforce our patriotic principles - please send me an email so that I can register you for the Zoom meeting.
Please make a special invitation to your pastor and your Deacon brother(s) to consider becoming a Sir Knight of Columbus via the virtual exemplification.
The offer of half off the virtual cost of $50 continues for our priests and deacons remains in effect. Yes, the charge for priests and deacons for virtual exemplifications will be $25. I expect the assembly to pick up the cost for these brothers as I am not going to bill them. The cost per non-ordained candidate remains at $50 (compared to the on-site normal charge of $70).
So, make some phone calls to brother Knights and extend an invitation to learn more about Catholic citizenship by signing up for this exemplification. We still need completed Form 4's (please ensure to include the candidate’s email and phone number) and payment to be sent in – US Post or email. I ask that we receive your information 48 hours prior to the exemplification to allow us to get the registration completed properly.
Stay Strong, Be Brave, and Viva Christo Rey!
Michael P. Gaspers
Master of the Fourth Degree - Iowa District\
Attached you will find two documents: a Fillable PDF Form 4 and instructions for Faithful Navigators to use to get these documents filled out and sent to our District Secretary. Once the District Secretary receives a completed Form 4 and registration payment, the candidate will get directions on the online registration and viewing process.
Here is some additional information.
1. The online exemplification is a recorded video of our Iowa degree team. It is well done, easy to watch, and is the full exemplification script so a new member seeing this ceremony won’t be getting an abbreviated version of our standard ceremony.
2. Candidates and observers will be guided through the process by our District Master and members of our district staff. Current Sir Knights are welcome to observe but also need to register with the District Secretary. A brother Knight MUST be registered to watch the ceremony.
3. Candidates, unfortunately, won’t get the benefit of the face-to-face knighting. Navigators are expected to do that later as social distancing restrictions are eased.
4. The regular new member certificate and documents, social baldric, and lapel pin will be sent to Navigators after the candidate participates in the online exemplification. Navigators will then contact the new members to pass along these items.
5. The registration fee is $50 instead of the typical $70 fee. The $50 fee covers the district’s cost to purchase the baldric, lapel pin, produce and send the new member documents, pay a registration fee to Supreme for each candidate, and to offset the video production cost.
6. Since this is a video presentation, candidates are encouraged to use a PC or Mac computer. Tablets and iPads will work but their smaller screen sizes will reduce the impact of the presentation. Smartphone screens are too small to be effective and should not be used.
7. Candidates will not be visible during this online ceremony.
8. Make checks payable to “Iowa District Master”. They should be sent to District Secretary, Jim Bates, 15102 Brookview Dr, Urbandale, 50323-2567